Wean Me Away


   


After briefly tasting the New Atheism offered by our friend Daniel Dennett in his comments on our YouTube video, I must say that I find it a very sour wind flavored with bitter gall! Why would anyone want to drink it, especially one who has tasted the sweetness of Christ?  This thought reminds me of a poem one of our sisters wrote as a meditation on Psalm 131.  Let us pray it for Daniel and all who are not able to pray because their senses are dead to the beauty of God’s love.


Wean Me Away

Wean me away from the wine of the world,
Feed me instead with the milk of your word.
Take from my mouth the bloody meat,
Give me the breast that is more than sweet.

Wrest me from weary marvels beyond me,
Rest me within the arms that surround me
You, the marvel in and around me.

Here is Psalm 131:

O Lord, my heart is not proud
nor haughty my eyes.
I have not gone after things too great
nor marvels beyond me.

Truly I have set my soul
in silence and peace.
As a child has rest in its mother’s arms,
even so my soul.

O Israel, hope in the Lord
both now and forever.

Comments

laughingzoe said…
This is what I needed today.

Thank you.
Ester Regina said…
You are welcome! Blessed Eastertide!

Popular Posts