The Canaanite Woman


Wednesday, August 03, 2011
Matthew 15:21-28 (The Canaanite Woman)

I love the Canaanite woman who persistently asked Jesus to cure her daughter.  I love her for her great faith, I love her for her motherly anguish, I love her for her humility, but most of all I love her for her wit.  In such a situation, fraught with emotion, she could still see through the seeming indifference and even hostility of the Lord and engage Him in a clever repartee.  “It is not right to take the bread of the children and throw it to the dogs.”  “Yes, Lord, but even the dogs under the table eat the scraps that fall from their masters’ table”.  I doubt I would have given such an answer!  And she merited to receive extraordinary praise from the Lord, “O woman!  Great is your faith!”  Thank you, Madam, for giving such joy to Jesus and for giving us such an example of trusting boldness.  I look forward to meeting you in heaven.  And when Jesus seems to ignore me I will have confidence that He really does want my good.  Perhaps He just wants to show off my faith.

Comments

Popular Posts